Quick and easy make-ahead crepes

Who doesn't love crepes? 
The question is how you like them: sweet, savory or both. When I was a little girl, my mother used to melt fresh butter, that where purchased from the farmer's market, shaped by hands in ball, she would cut a piece and melt it on the stove in a tiny enamel pot. We would fold each crepe and deep it in this warm butter....  it still is my favorite way to eat crepes.
Crepe's are also a best way and fastest way to feed my toddlers breakfast, that is reach in protein, omega and amino acids, vitamin B, A, etc. We all know, that eggs are a superfood, but my kids unfortunately don't love eggs - crepes are the way to make  my little ones really enjoy their nutritious breakfasts. 
So, here's how I make mine:
2 cups of whole milk
1 cup of buttermilk (kefir or plain yogurt will do) 
5 eggs
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp oil
2 cups of all purpose, unbleached, unbromated flour 

I blend everything with  stick blender , I really like Cusinart immersion blender, I use it every day, it lets me make my own baby food without placing hot veggies in the plastic food processor bowl. Just don't buy the one that comes in a set with the tiny food processor, because even though the blender itself works beautifully, the processor knife kept coming off, I returned mine. The best ever pan for the crepes is a cast iron one. I own  Lodge Logic pan, really cheap one  - only $15, and it performs beautifully!  Cast iron gives you a very even heat distribution, and, if properly seasoned, is naturally non-stick, just preheat it well every time.  
Rub your pan with just a little bit of oil and get it very hot, almost smoking-hot, lift hot pan with your left hand using a mitten or a kitchen towel and pour batter in the center of a pan, give it a little rotating motion with your left hand to spread the batter all over the surface of the pan. Do it quickly. For 10.5" pan you'll need exactly 3 fl. oz of batter to make a perfect crepe. I always make just enough crepes to serve now and store the rest of the batter in the fridge and than just use it the next morning to make more crepes, which only takes several minutes.
For fillings my family likes jam, farmers or ricotta cheese blended with a little heavy cream, sugar and vanilla bean paste or berries (fresh or frozen)

Comments

Popular Posts