Chocolate chip chocolate granola muffins. Low calorie, wholesome treat.


Ever since I officially admitted that different scales that are not related to each other can't lie and those extra 20 pounds that they show actually do exist somewhere throughout my body (in some parts more evident than others) I've been on lookout for something, that would answer following criteria: 
a) Chocolatey
b) Moist
c) Sweet
d) Delicious...
... something that would have a texture of moist, decadent, chocolate cake and smell like sweet tahitian vanilla... yea. I know - I tend to be too particular at times. Well, that basically covers it, except for couple of more things: whatever it it was I was craving, it was suppose to be  LOW IN CALORIES AND GOOD FOR YOU IN GENERAL. I know, i know...
Well, you'll never guess, but I actually did find it, and it wasn't all that simple I must say. It happened almost accidentally,  with series of rather fortunate events that started with me signing up for Costco, which is located nowhere near my place. It was a fully conscious decision though - they have some really good selections of organic products, and I decided that for this one reason it's totally worth some travel time. So there I was, shopping at Costco for a very first time, dancing my happy dance every time I would stumble on something like a double size jar of Better than Bouillon Chicken Base for $6.99 or a huge bag of organic sugar for a bargain price, when my eye has caught a big box of  Nature's Path organic Ancient Grains Granola with Almonds. The more I read the ingredient list - the more I've forgotten about how nobody, not a single soul in my 6-person family would never show a slightest interest in any kind of granola - been there, done that. Guess what? I have no recollection of how exactly did this happen, but the two(!) 2 pound boxes of granola safely landed on the belt for checkout, along with chickens, hot dogs, cheeses yogurts and Seventh Generation laundry detergents. I was ecstatic! 
To make a long story short, I googled "granola muffins" and to my disappointment none of those came up where the chocolate or low calorie ones. So I decided to take matters in my own hands and came up with my "Chocolate chip chocolate granola muffins". 
Chocolatey - check! Moist - check! Sweet - check! Delicious - check! Only 203 calories per standart size muffin. And there's a bonus too - the batter will sta in the fridge for quite some time, so the recipe is for 48 muffins - when you need to bake more, just spoon and bake.
So here it goes:


You will need:
4 Cups of good, all natural granola with almonds
1.5 cups of raw sugar that is naturally darker in color, if not available try brown sugar instead (turbinado and sucanat work great too)
5 cups of all purpose flour. To give it an extra healthy kick try spelt or PASTRY whole wheat flour instead.
1.5 tsp stevia extract
2 tbsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
4 eggs
1 quart buttermilk (or kefir)
1 tbsp of good vanilla extract (I love the aroma of Trader Joe's vanilla - not too strong, very delicate and sweet)
0.5 cup vegetable oil (I prefer sufflower or grapeseed as this oils hav no flavor or aroma)
1 cup dutch processed cocoa powder
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (Trader joe's ad Whole Foods chips maintained soft and creamy texture even after the muffins where completely cooled and the day after)
______________________________
Instructions (are simple):


Mix dry and wet ingredients separately in two bowls than mix everything together. Spoon batter into to the lined muffin tins approximately 2/3 full and bake at 350 F for 25 minutes. If you don't like to use stevia it can be substituted with 1.5 cups of sugar.




Comments

Popular Posts